Luigi’s Tips On Creating An Outdoor Bohemian Vibe
As seen in Harper’s Bazaar Interiors September 2013 Issue
Luigi’s tips on creating a Bohemian Outdoor Vibe
1. Bring the indoors out….Bring your existing sofas, dining table, chairs, fine china and crystal glasses outdoors to turn your fête into a fine-dining experience. It should feel like an extension of your home’s interior.
2. Pick a Palette….Choose three main colours to create a theme then carry those colours throughout with accessories like flowers, plates, glasses and napkins.
3. Create areas for guests to gather…. Create multiple zones for outdoor entertaining. Think Mediterranean cabana or desert hideaway to give your backyard or pool area a cozy feel. Top with bright pillows, floor cushions and throws to keep your guests comfortable well into the early hours.
4. Romantic lighting….Keep your soiree swinging after sundown, and go for a glow. Candles and hanging outdoor lanterns will set a romantic ambience, while hurricane lanterns make the perfect centerpieces.
5. Games Galore….Everyone loves lawn games and backyard diversions! Challenge family and friends to classics like croquet, tennis, badminton, volleyball or bocce. You will have fun and work up an appetite in no time.
6. Use nature as your Backdrop….Use natural elements from your own garden such as moss, fresh flowers and palm leaves to dress the table. Create centerpieces with fresh-cut foliage, snip lemon branches to add colour to the table, or pick the bougainvillea tree for bright accents and place rose petals on your plates to give the table a Bohemian mood. Fragrant blossoms placed around the table will add another dimension as they release their scent at dusk.
7. Keep it fresh and laid back….Choose lively colours to create a delightful summer theme; try monochromatic dinnerware paired with a vibrant tablecloth to spice up the look. Or skip the tablecloth altogether on a glass table to give your dinner and glassware a floating, ethereal effect. Remember an eclectic mix of china and glassware feels more laid back.